Classic Norton Motorcycles
Norton 19S 1957
The first Nortons were produced in England by James Lansdowne Norton in 1902-1903 marketed as Energette motorcycles and powered by French Clement engines. By 1908 the Norton concern was producing its own 633cc sidevalve engine which propelled the very successful Big Four.
During the 1930's Norton dominated road racing, winning almost all the major TT races from 1931 to 1938. After the war their success on the track continued until the late fifties when Italian multis heralded the end of an era for Norton.
Their commercial success continued unabated, however, until the Asian onslaught of the late 60's put the writing on the wall for the antiquated English manufacturing techniques.
Information courtesy Sheldon's EMU
© 1997-2021 National Motorcycle Museum AU
Site by ManxNorton.com